Saturday, December 24, 2016

RETURN TO YOUR FIRST LOVE

Rev. 2:4-5 "But I have this complaint against you. You don't love me or each other as you did at first! Look how far you have fallen from your first love! Turn back to me again and work as you did at first. If you don't, I will come and remove your lamp stand from its place among the churches."

Do you love with the same intensity as you did when you first fell in love? Take a moment and think back. What was it like when you first discovered true love? I remember that my whole outlook on life was one of excitement and focus. I enjoyed being in the presence of my wife-to-be and it was all I cared about. I lived for the moments when I could spend time with her. It gave me great joy and renewed hope. I remember that I would not let life get to me because I was in love and knew she loved me. It was true when I fell in love with my wife, and it was true when I really fell in love with God. The issue now is, "Do I still love my wife and God like I did at first?"

How far have you fallen away from the time you first fell in love with God? Does He excite you like He once did? Do you long to be with Him like you once did? Do you see life positively and hopefully like you once did? Are you as focused on Him like you once were? Does knowing God bring you great joy? Are you living to please Him like you once did? If not, what has happened? What have you allowed to come between you and God? What has become more important to you than your relationship with God?

Listen! Turn back to God while you can. Don't waste another moment of your life drifting away from Him. Turn back to Him and renew the love you had for Him when you first got to know Him. Repent of whatever sins you have allowed into your heart. Repent of your neglect. Repent of your failure to stoke the fires of your love. Repent and turn back to God before your heart turns so cold you won't even want to. Don't let your light grow so dim that the darkness swallows it up.

Today is the day for your turning back to God. Now is the time for you to rekindle the flame of your love. Tomorrow may be too late. Right now is the moment God has given you to repent. Will you do it?

No comments:

Post a Comment