Thursday, August 4, 2016

DISCIPLINE FOR OUR GOOD

Heb. 12:10b-11 But God's discipline is always right and good for us because it means we will share in his holiness. No discipline is enjoyable while it is happening---it is painful! But afterward there will be a quiet harvest of right living for those who are trained in this way.

I can remember growing up my father's discipline and I can testify to the fact that it hurt! My dad came from the old school where physical discipline was acceptable. My dad used belts to hold up his britches and he used them to teach us right from wrong. Dad was not afraid to correct our behavior with his belt. We knew what we would get if he ever found out what we did so it was a great deterrent for wrong behavior. I don't ever recall a time in which I can say I enjoyed his discipline. I do remember many of the lessons I learned from his discipline.

I learned to respect my father. I may not have always agreed with him that a spanking was justified, but I sure did learn from my mistakes and tried not to repeat them. I learned early on that it was in my best interest to obey my father. I believe that most people in the church today have very little respect for God. They don't fear Him in the sense that I feared my dad. As a result, I believe we have failed to learn many valuable lessons of faith we need to know.

I learned right from wrong. Without his guidance, I probably would have done a whole lot worse things than I did growing up. I knew that there were certain things that I could not do and I did not do them. I understood that there were consequences for my crossing the line and doing what I wanted to do instead of what my father wanted me to do. I learned that disciple was good for me. It kept me on a good path. I learned it was to my advantage to do what was right. I discovered that life was far less painful for me when I listened to my father than when I didn't.

I attribute much of who I am today to my father's discipline. He caused me to want to do what was right before him and ultimately before God, my Father. Wanting to please God motivates me to listen to Him and obey Him. We don't like to be disciplined, but it produces in us godly living. In fact, without discipline from God, no one will make it to heaven.

No comments:

Post a Comment