Saturday, May 31, 2014

Make me walk along the path of your commands.

Ps. 119:35 Make me walk along the path of your commands, for that is where my happiness is found.

We need help don't we? We don't always live by God's Word. We tend to forget, neglect, ignore, or downright refuse to obey what God tells us to do. We struggle with living by God's Word because we want to do things the easy way or we want to satisfy our own pleasures. We think sometimes that God's Word is too demanding. We chose what we want to do and ignore the rest. Whatever we may think about God, we find it hard to want to obey Him. Therefore, we must seek the Lord's help. We are at war with our sinful thoughts and desires and we must have God's help if we are going to obey Him. The Psalmist said, "MAKE ME WALK ALONG THE PATH OF YOUR COMMANDS." We need to pray the same prayer. We must have God's help if we are going to obey Him.

Why do we need to obey the Lord? Because that is where happiness is found. God's way is the only way to true happiness. The joy we get from obeying God has staying power. We find in obedience peace with God. We find satisfaction of soul that is not found anywhere else. We find that as we obey Him we want to obey Him. Our desire for Him increases. We see through obedience gratitude for God's blessings.

When we don't obey God, nothing goes right with us. We are miserable as we try to squelch our convictions. Guilt and shame plague us because we know better and choose to disobey God anyway. We are restless day and night because peace eludes us. If we continue in our disobedience our health begins to be affected by it as well as our relationships with the people in our lives. When we get what we want out of life we are never satisfied because the ways of sin are nothing but empty promises of happiness.

"Lord, make me to walk along the path of your commands. I don't always want to do it, but I must if I am going to live rightly before You. Lord, make me do it for my soul's sake. Keep me off the path of sin and on the path of righteousness. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen."

No comments:

Post a Comment