Thursday, December 27, 2012

Why do I write?


Sometimes I have to pause and reflect on what I am doing and why I am doing it.  I find myself getting frustrated by the slowness of sales of my book and I have to ask myself, “Why?”.  Am I trying to market my book for personal gain or for the good that I believe it can do in people’s lives?  I strive to do what I do for the good that it may do, but if I am focused on the amount of books that are being sold, have I gotten off track?  Perhaps to some extent I have.

 

I am first and foremost a servant of Christ.  I seek to honor Him in all I do.  I write for the good that it may do.  I really don’t have a drive to sell a lot of books just for the sake of selling them.  The recognition from selling a “successful” book is not something I care about.  I don’t crave wealth from being a successful author.  If many books sell, then it means to me that potentially many people are being helped by the things I write about.

 

I have many things that I am hoping to get into the marketplace for people to read that I think will be helpful to those who read them.  If the Lord allows me to, I will strive to get them out there.  For me, my life has purpose in the good I do for Christ.  Writing for now has become my pulpit.  I will continue to write to make known the things the Lord has taught me and I will strive to not let the sales of what I write concern me.  It is enough to obediently do what the Lord has laid on my heart to do.  It is in His hands what he wants to do with it.  It is my prayer that He will be pleased with my efforts to honor him.

No comments:

Post a Comment