Monday, January 30, 2012

So, you want to be an author.

      It has been said that the life of an author is a lonely one.  I didn't quite know what that meant until I became one.  Two things that happen drives an author into solitude: the writing of his book and the marketing of the book.  No one knows what it is like to manufacture something from your heart and try to sell it unless he has been there. 
      I find that the marketing end of it is perhaps the most difficult thing I have ever done.  I enjoy what I do, but it is very hard getting the word out about your writings, let alone convince people you don't know they should get your book(s).  It is astronomical the number of books currently on the market.  Depending on your source, there are over 8 million titles to chose from.  One out of 8 million books is not very many.  Unless you have a public name that is recognizable, it is a very grueling process. 
       It takes money to get good books published these days and most authors are not able to just publish their works out of their pockets without great sacrifice. 
       I share this to just encourage you to not just think about buying a good book that catches your interest, buy it and help support the author so that he/she can continue to offer great books for the enjoyment and edifcation of others.

No comments:

Post a Comment