Sunday, January 30, 2011

Our Need for Holy Living

I grew up in a holiness church. There was an awareness of God's holy nature and it was preached and taught. I have noticed a switch in what most churches emphasize today. We dwell on God's love and grace and rarely challenge one another to holy living. While I know God's love and grace, I also need to know his holiness. Holiness keeps me aware of my sinfulness and need for Christ to be my Savior and Lord. When we dwell exclusively on God's grace, we lose respect for his holiness.
There is no greater need in the church today than a proper respect for the holiness of God. Without it, we no longer fear God or respect him as our judge. There is no motivation left to submit and obey Him. There is no sense of our need to keep on growing into godliness.
The church is only as strong as her witness to God's holiness. It is the meat and bones of our faith. Nothing much is going to happen as far as reaching people for Christ until we regain our need for holy living.

No comments:

Post a Comment