Friday, December 17, 2021

DETERMINED NOT TO SIN

 DETERMINED NOT TO SIN

Ps. 17:3-6 You have tested my thoughts and examined my heart in the night. You have scrutinized me and found nothing amiss, for I am determined not to sin in what I say. I have followed your commands, which have kept me from going along with cruel and evil people. My steps have stayed on your path; I have not wavered from following you. NLT

Every time I read this and similar passages, I pause and consider my own willingness to let the Lord examine my thoughts and heart. Whenever we come under the scrutiny of the Lord we are confronted with our sinfulness. Words spoken in haste, things done impulsively, thoughts that linger in our minds, all tend to lead us into sin.

The Psalmist says he came underneath the scrutiny of the Lord and was confident that the Lord did not find anything amiss. How in the world could he say such a thing? He was determined to do all he could to not sin. He took charge of his soul and did what he could to protect it. He refused to hang with people who would lead him astray. He was determined to obey the Lord in all things and not to let his mouth betray him.

At the end of the day when everything was said and done, the Psalmist could say all was well with his soul. Can we say the same thing at the close of our day? Do we dare ask the Lord to examine our thoughts? How dare we do anything but that? There can be no peaceful rest until we know that all is well with our soul.

May our prayer always be for the Lord to help us stay on the path of righteousness. May the desire of our hearts always be to remain steady in our faith, to not waiver in our love, devotion, and obedience to Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment